Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Nearing Summers End


With just a couple weeks left of summer, I thought I'd give an update on our progress. The summer preschool program went very well. With some suggestions from our therapist, Dylan is much more verbal. He will repeat 3-4 word phrases and give some spontaneous answers. He can follow simple directions. He can bounce a ball. He has also become much better at identifying animals, letters, numbers and colors! His self limited diet has expanded to include several new foods. We have lots to be thankful for.

One of the ladies I hired to help over the summer will be continuing on with us through the school year. The other helper will be available as needed. It may seem like a small thing, but I am so very thankful that both of these ladies showed up for work every day and did their jobs. And they genuinely care about Dylan.

Looking forward, I have decided to continue with an at-home preschool program to supplement his actual preschool. I am at work making new material and formulating his lesson plans. We plan to have two therapists, each here 2 hours per day in addition to his 3 hrs of school per day. This is sure to put extra stress on him at first, but if history is any indication, he will adapt fine.

Much of my inspiration for his program has come from amazing moms who share their homeschooling experiences on a blog. From these sites, I have put together a customized program to fit Dylan's specific developmental needs.  I have set goals with his school for the next year, and am using these goals as a framework to choose materials.
One thing I've noticed is that with all the great free printables and ideas out there, there is nothing extraordinary to teach preschool Bible.  The activities are lame.  Seriously.  Think free clip art from the 1980's.  That's what it looks like.  If I had extra time, this is something I would be creating on my own.

Anyhoo, Dylan's program is created with a goal of kindergarten preparedness.  So we are working on letters, numbers, shapes, colors, art, emotion recognition, fine motor, pattern identification, cutting, pasting.

Then there are gross motor activities like bouncing/throwing/catching a ball, riding a trike, jumping, hopping, etc.

And general goals for learning his name and address, safety, personal hygiene, etc.

I look for a "theme" and activities that incorporate these goals in a slightly new way each week.  So if our theme is monkeys, we might use a Tot Pack to help with basic goals and read the book: Five Little Monkeys Then I would look for other ideas to use monkeys in gross motor, etc.



2 comments:

  1. Love all of the info on your site. It is a very small world! As I read over some of your posts, I noticed that you are also from San Antonio : ) There is a great group that I signed up for on Meetup called "The Austin Autism Treatment Forum" They have great lectures and the group organizer sends out great info to subscribers by email.

    I have to tell you my heart was heavy reading your post from when Dylan turned 4. That is the same way I felt when my son turned 4 just six short months ago. The great thing is that in the last six months he has made some really incredible gains! gains that I was starting to think might be impossible.

    Hang in there! Know that there are more of us fighting alongside you : ) I try to keep track of all the stuff we do on a blog too: http://aidanswindow.blogspot.com/

    Look forward to reading more great posts! Thanks for sharing your journey!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jessica for the wonderful encouragement! I just saw your comment and am now following your blog! It's so great to find another mom nearby with the same challenges.

    It is now September and Dylan has had an amazing few weeks. He is talking a lot more and showing so much independence. It was hard to go through a season with so little progress but thankfully now my hope is renewed.

    Take care ;)

    ReplyDelete